Are the complex setup, limited scalability, and demanding maintenance of WooCommerce holding you back from running and scaling your business? If so, you are coming to the right place. In this guide, we will show you a detailed tutorial on how to migrate seamlessly from WooCommerce to Shopify.
Here is a sneak peek at what you will learn after reading this blog post:
- What to prepare before migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify?
- How to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify?
- What to do after migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify?
- How much does it cost to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify?
Without further ado, let’s dive right in!
What to Prepare Before WooCommerce to Shopify Migration?
Before we show you a step-by-step guide on WooCommerce to Shopify migration, you should finish the preparation checklist first.:
#1. Back up data on the current WooCommerce website
Before making the move from WooCommerce to Shopify, ensure that all your valuable data is safely backed up by exporting and saving the exported files securely on your PC.
Since the WooCommerce export process is technically similar for all data types, we’ll show you how to export WooCommerce product data. If you want to migrate other data, just follow the same steps.
- Log in to your WooCommerce admin panel using your credentials.
- On the left-hand side, find the Products tab and click on it.
- From the top menu, choose Export. Here, you can select the product information you want to back up, like product names, prices, descriptions, and more.
- Click the Generate CSV button. A file will be created with your selected product data.
- Download the generated file to your computer.
Remember to back up your WooCommerce store’s data
Alt: woocommerce export product csv
#2. Set up your new Shopify store
Next up, you will need to set up a functional Shopify store before migrating data from your WooCommerce store into it.
Here are the common steps to set up a proper Shopify web store:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for a Shopify account. Provide basic information and choose a store name.
- Pick a visually appealing website template for your store’s design. You can choose from hundreds of both free Shopify themes and premium ones to find the ideal option.
- Enable secure payment options for your customers. Connect your preferred payment gateways.
- Define shipping zones, rates, and delivery options to ensure smooth order fulfillment.
- Based on your business location, configure tax settings to ensure accurate calculations.
- Select a suitable pricing plan based on your business needs and publish your Shopify store.
Set up your Shopify store
Alt: Shopify theme editor
A Practical Guide on How to Migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify
Now that you have backed up your WooCommerce store’s crucial data and done basic Shopify setups, let’s get to the main point– migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify.
You can migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify manually or hire an expert to do so. However, from our experience, neither of the two methods is optimal.
But don’t worry! With a certified migration agency like LitExtension, your migration will be done in hours, not months. The best part? Their tool allows you to set up advanced migration options and have an expert-migrated store without breaking the bank.
That’s why in this guide, we’ll show you how to perform the migration with the most optimal method– using the automated Shopify migration service by LitExtension.
Step #1. Set up your Source and Target Cart
Firstly, you need to sign up for a free LitExtension account.
Then, log in to your account, click Create Migration and choose WooCommerce as the Source Cart. Next, provide your WooCommerce store URL.
Choose WooCommerce as Source Cart
Alt: migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify
Afterward, strictly follow the quick tutorial to download the “le_connector” file. FYI: this file is technically used to bridge your WooCommerce database with the LitExtension app.
Unzip the downloaded file and upload the Connector folder to the root directory of your WooCommerce installation on the server. If you do it right, the notification “Connection was successfully installed” will pop up on your screen.
Next, pick Shopify as the Target Cart, and fill in your Shopify store URL and Shopify API password as instructed.
Choose Shopify as Target Cart
Alt: WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Step #2. Select the data you want to migrate
Moving on to the next step of migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify, you will need to select the data (entities) you want to migrate.
With LitExtension, you can migrate all kinds of crucial store data like customers, orders, products, pages, blogs, etc. You can choose only certain entities to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify, or you can click “Select all” to transfer all the listed data attributes.
Choose the entities you want to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify
Alt: WooCommerce to Shopify migration
What’s awesome is that LitExtension also enables you to further customize your migration with advanced options like clearing current data on the target store to avoid duplicates or creating 301 redirects so you won’t lose your hard-earn SEO efforts.
LitExtension offers extra data fields for WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Alt: WooCommerce to Shopify migration additional entities
And don’t forget to map your order status and language so your store language and order management stay intact when they are moved to your Shopify store.
Map your language and order status
Alt: language and order status mapping for WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Step #3. Migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify
After choosing the entities you want to migrate, you are literally one click away from successful migration. However, we highly suggest that you do a free demo migration with LitExtension to see how the migration process works first.
If you want to go straight to the juicy part, it’s completely fine. You can skip the demo migration and choose to perform the full migration.
When the migration starts, it will smoothly and seamlessly run on LitExtension’s cloud server. So you wouldn’t need to keep your PC running throughout the process.
Active the WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Alt: Active the WooCommerce to Shopify migration
When all your selected data is fully migrated, you will receive an email notification.
Successful WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Alt: Successful WooCommerce to Shopify migration notification
And that’s how easy-peasy it is to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify with LitExtension’s automated migration service.
|💡 All-in-one Migration Service: The ‘X factor’ that sets LitExtension apart|
The incredible thing we love about LitExtension’s WooCommerce to Shopify migration service is their All-In-One Data Migration:You’ll get free 1-on-1 support with a Personal Assistant – an expert who takes you through every step of your migration process. Free Additional Options to enhance your migration capability.Quick response time to improve your migration efficiency
Post-migration Activities to Enhance Your Shopify Website
After successfully migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify, there are several post-migration activities you should undertake to enhance your new Shopify website. Let’s dive into these crucial steps, ensuring a seamless transition for you.
- Check the result after the WooCommerce to Shopify migration
After completing the WooCommerce to Shopify migration, it’s important for you to thoroughly examine the results. Take time to review your new Shopify store and ensure that your products, categories, and customer data have transitioned accurately.
- Choose a new Shopify theme
Selecting an appealing Shopify theme is essential to establish your store’s visual identity. Navigate to the “Online Store” section of your Shopify dashboard and explore the available themes. Opt for one that aligns with your brand and provides a user-friendly experience for your customers.
- Integrate with essential Shopify apps
Enhance your store functionality by integrating with essential Shopify apps. These apps can assist you in areas such as marketing, customer service, analytics, and inventory management. Choose wisely, considering your specific business needs, to avoid cluttering your store with unnecessary tools.
- Try placing a new order
To ensure a smooth purchasing process for your customers, attempt to place a test order on your Shopify store. This enables you to experience the buying journey firsthand, identifying any potential hiccups or glitches that might deter customers from completing their transactions
Why Migrate From WooCommerce To Shopify?
WooCommerce is a robust eCommerce plug-in that allows you to enable eCommerce functionalities for your WordPress websites. However, by nature, this powerful plug-in is an open-source platform– which isn’t user-friendly, and you have to set up a bunch of configurations on your own.
Thus, many merchants have chosen to migrate to Shopify for a more hassle-free experience in launching, running, and managing their e-shop. But, besides ease of use, there are many things Shopify does better than WooCommerce:
- User-friendly setup: Shopify offers an easier and more intuitive setup process, making it simpler for you to get your online store up and running without technical hassles.
- Hosted solution: With Shopify, you don’t need to worry about hosting or server management. Everything is taken care of for you, allowing you to focus on your business.
- Mobile ready: Shopify stores are designed to be mobile-responsive out of the box, ensuring a smooth shopping experience for your customers on any device.
- Security and Updates: Shopify handles security and updates, reducing the risk of vulnerabilities and ensuring your store stays current.
- Scalability: As your business grows, Shopify can easily accommodate increased traffic and sales without requiring major technical adjustments.
How Much Does It Cost to Migrate WooCommerce to Shopify?
Migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify involves several potential costs, which can vary based on factors such as the complexity of your store, the amount of data to be transferred, and the methods you choose for migration.
From our experience, here are the estimated costs for the three mentioned methods:
- Migrate manually: hooray, it is free. Monetarily speaking, that’s true. However, considering the fact that you and your team have to spend tons of time on it, is it really free?
- Hire an expert: on average, a certified migration expert will cost you at least $500 per WooCommerce to Shopify migration. If you have custom requests or extensive data, this number can go all the way up to $1,000.
- Use LitExtension’s automated migration service: if you opt for LitExtension’s migration service (which you should), the basic migration costs you only $79. If you want an all-in-one migration, as mentioned above, $139 is all it takes.
WooCommerce to Shopify Migration – FAQs
Is it easy to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify?
Migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify can be straightforward with proper planning and execution. Shopify provides tools and resources to help you transfer your data, but some complexity might arise based on the amount of content and customization you have on your WooCommerce store.
How much does it cost to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify?
The cost of migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify varies based on factors like the complexity of your store, the amount of data, and whether you’re using any migration tools or services.
What is the best way to migrate WooCommerce to Shopify?
The best way to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify is to use the automated migration service offered by LitExtension. With LitExtension’s certified migration agency, your migration can be completed in a matter of hours, ensuring a swift transition.
Their tool also offers advanced migration options, allowing you to have an expertly-migrated store without excessive costs.
Is it worth moving from WooCommerce to Shopify?
Absolutely, migrating from WooCommerce to Shopify can be highly beneficial. Here are the top five reasons why many merchants choose to switch from WooCommerce to Shopify:
- Ease of use
- Hassle-free hosting and security
- Incredible 24/7 customer support
- Well-responsive themes
- Fast-loading speed
Now that we have walked you through all you need to know about WooCommerce to Shopify migration, here is a quick recap of the needed steps to migrate your store seamlessly:
Step 1: Back up your WooCommerce store data
Step 2: Create and set up your Shopify store
Step 3: Set up WooCommerce as your source cart and Shopify as your target cart
Step 4: Choose the data (products, orders, customers, etc.) that you want to migrate
Step 5: Run the full WooCommerce to Shopify migration
Step 6: Perform post-migration activities
We hope that after reading this article, you can learn how to migrate from WooCommerce to Shopify without errors or glitches.